Friday, November 14, 2014

Enrolling in Classes? Here are Some Tips!

Everybody must be too busy signing
up for classes, campus is strangely empty 
Though I know some people have already registered for classes, including myself, I remember the struggles of trying to register for classes as an incoming freshmen and first year student. I'm not entirely sure how they decide who gets to register when, but I know first year students have the lowest priority, which can really suck especially when your competing against hundreds of other students for a spot in a class. Being a third year I don't have nearly the same troubles as I used to when it comes to registering for classes, but I remember those days so figured I might give some tips for those still waiting to register:

A cool pic of campus, but completely
unrelated to this post :)
1. Meet with a counselor to figure out what classes you need in order to transfer. The classes vary by major and the school you want to transfer to but a counselor can help figure all that out. Even if you're not planning on transferring they can still set you up with a plan to complete your general education, earn a certificate, and/or earn an associates degree. They will steer you in the right direction and help you to avoid wasting time taking unnecessary classes.  

2. Once you know all the classes you need to take (or just want to take for fun) figure out what times those classes are offered and who teaches them.

3. I personally like to get my classes out of the way early in the morning rather than taking night classes, but I know everyone is different so try and find class times that work best for you and fit in your schedule. 
3a. myEDU.com is a great website to use for planning your schedule. It has a complete list of all the classes offered at SBCC and will outline various potential schedules. 
3b. ratemyprofessor.com is another website that can potentially be helpful when deciding which classes and professors are a good fit for your learning style. It's a site where students can post reviews/comments about teachers and classes. HOWEVER, take every comment with a grain of salt because there is no way to tell what "type" of student is posting any particular comment; it could range anywhere from a disgruntled slacker to the teachers pet so you really never know. 

4. Once you have your ideal schedule (i.e. the right times with your preferred teachers) gather all the CRN #'s for your desired courses so you can quickly enter them when registering. Rather than searching for each class # at the time of registration it's helpful to have everything laid out since it’s often a competition to get those last few spots in a class. After you get the course numbers ready for your ideal schedule I recommend coming up with a plan B, C, and sometimes even D just in case you aren't able to get in all the classes you originally intended. Having this ready before hand prevents you from scrambling to figure out a new schedule if your first one doesn't work out. Myedu.com really comes in handy when plotting out alternative schedules.

5. Lastly, make sure to know your registration date and time so that you can register as soon as possible because I'm not exaggerating when I say a class can fill in a matter of seconds. 

*** Joining the SBCC Honors Program was another tactic that helped me get the classes I needed. All Honors classes are transferable and count towards your IGETC and are often major prep classes. Among many other great things about this program, it's a relief knowing that I won't have issues getting into one of these classes; they are generally able to accommodate all honors students trying to enroll. Joining the honors program was one of the best decisions I made while at SBCC and I highly recommend joining. In addition to great classes with awesome teachers and students it also helps give you a competitive edge when applying to transfer. If you’re interested in learning more or want to apply check out their website http://sbcchonorsprogram.org/


I wish everyone luck during this stressful time of registering and I hope these tips help! I promise it gets better, I can generally get the classes I need/want on my first try these days so no longer need 3 alternative back-up schedules.


No comments:

Post a Comment